RE: question for all you rocket scientists

To: "'Lynn Wall'" <lwall@wt-inc.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: question for all you rocket scientists
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 15:02:59 -0400
Lynn
        You maybe using the wrong term for you description.
The higher you go in altitude the less oxygen is in the air; thus the term
thinner air.

I don't believe there is less volume of the mixture we call AIR.   Nature
hates a vacuum so it fills in the spaces.  There are differences in the
properties of AIR as the altitude changes.

With less oxygen you need to jet down a carburetor to get the fuel mixture
correct.   You need to open the choke because less oxygen means it is
already choked.   You need to gap your spark plugs correctly to reduce lean
misfires as you increase in altitude.

As you drive your car to higher altitudes the fuel mixture will become
richer; this should aid in cooling but altitude also decreases vapor
pressure which means the boiling point temperature drops.   This could
equalize the altitude differences for the cooling system.

This is a good question.   Is there a trip planned for your future to get
Rocky Mountain High?

Ron Fraser