Silver State accidents

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Silver State accidents
From: "Robert Bridgeford" <bobbridgeford@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 14:32:21 -0700
I think the Widapedia account may be bringing together several different
road races under a common report, although I  certainly could be mistaken.
I believe both of the fatalities occured in the Texas version of the "Open
Road Race" series ( Big Bend Race), which, besides the Silver State, used to
include a race in
in Ensenada. A seperate but similar race is run from Battle
Mt. Nevada, known as the Pony Express race. The Silver State is run only in
Nevada, originating from Ely and first organized by Phil Henry.

  There is no question
the race contains an element of risk. The year the all time speed record was
set only one unlimited class car was allowed to run before the course was
closed down, because a local fisherman who was off-roading in a pickup
entered the
course from a sand wash, and was driving head-on toward cars approaching at
200 mph! The first record holder, Kelly B. in a C-4 crashed his car at 230
mph when he got airborne on a bump - he walked away but the car burned to
the ground. Finally, Dennis "mad dog" Antinucchi, a Pantera hot shoe burned
his Pantera up at the finish line one year in a spectacular finish!

Best,

Bob

Bob Bridgeford
541 549 9539