Re: spray painted vin #

To: BAYER77@aol.com
Subject: Re: spray painted vin #
From: stubrennan@attbi.com
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:52:29 +0000
DO NOT REMOVE YOUR ORIGINAL RIVETS!!  If you do, there are those, including RMV
folks, who could question the authenticity of your car.  They are not just
ordinary pop rivets, as you have no doubt noticed.  And they do not seem to be
available anywhere.

Removing the JAL tag is OK, since that's just held down by screws.  That number
is nothing official for RMV purposes, though don't let Norm catch you with the
wrong number....  The JAL tag was applied before painting at the factory, so
having it body color is OK.  Though, I did clean mine off down to bare metal,
and shot some clear over it, and it looks really nice.

I cleaned my painted S/N tag by carefully polishing the paint away with
Simichrome metal polish.  I did this by hand, not with any sort of motor driven
tool.  I removed the paint, but left the original silkscreening largely intact.

Stu