Re: Shelby and Tigers

To: JHef101@aol.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Shelby and Tigers
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 13:57:16 EST
In a message dated 3/7/99 9:55:59 AM Pacific Standard Time, JHef101@aol.com
writes:

<<  Thanks for the info. Wasn't the Ken Miles car around San Diego for quite
 a while? I lived in La Mesa as a 15-16 year old in 69 & 70 and remember a
 tubbed, automatic, I think 351 powered Tiger that used to run up and down El
 Cajon Blvd and Univeristy Ave. on Friday nights. From what I understand the
 Ken Miles car had been turned into a drag car at some point, was that the
 case? >>

Jeff-
I wrote an article on the car about 2 years ago, just after Bo Cheadle had
bought it and can try to fill you in on some details.
The only real gap in the car's history is the mid-1963 to August 1966 (when
the car turned up on Hungerford British Sports Cars lot in Escondido, CA) time
period. From '66 to about '70 the car was owned by a Jerry Lawson (who,
unfortunately, is no longer "of this world"), who used the car for drag
racing. No 351 or wheel tubs were installed, but a pumped 289 did find it's
way into the engine bay.
The next owner was Ray Harvick of Hemet, CA who traded a fiberglass dune buggy
body he had won at an off-road race for the car. From Mr. Harvick the car was
sold to Harold Lampson of Fresno, CA who kept the car until his death when Nan
Thompson of Fresno bought it, along with a number of Mr. Lampson's other autos
at an estate sale. From there the car passed on to Bo, who has almost finished
a challenging restoration.
If anyone would like the text file of the original story I wrote for STOA's
Tiger Tracks, please E-mail me.
Mike