Hot Catalyst

To: "Spridget Mail List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hot Catalyst
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 21:34:31 -0800
Hi All
Finally got my 78 Midget licensed today.  It spent 11 weeks at the shop to
replace a manifold gasket that I decided not to do myself, (that still
leaks), and to get smog checked, only to find out that his machine wasn't
y2k compliant.  So he got the timing all set, and ZS carb all adjusted.
Drove it to my work for the Smog check.  It passed :-)  but when I picked it
up, they recommended that I carry a fire extinguisher or tow it home.  The
Catalytic Converter lights up bright red, all the way down the exhaust pipe
to the first fitting below the transmission.  Took it back to the first shop
only to watch him verify that everything was adjusted correctly.  I've had
the cat off, it is not blocked.  Readjusted timing to 10 degrees BTDC (cal
emissions setting is 2 degrees ATDC)  and disconnected the EGR.  Still
glowing red hot tonight after 4 miles.  I can't pull the cat off as I am
setting this car up to resell, and need it to be smog legal.  Runs decent
but not perfect.  Advise?
David Riker
74 Midget
78 Midget