Re: hub removal

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: hub removal
From: "Editors, Molecular Vision" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 09:02:00 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Frank,

I got confused because the PO installed the dust cap backwards. This is the
first time I've tried this. The backwards dust cap, which makes a real nice
cup, gives the appearnce of being sealed; not something to be pulled to get
at stuff behind it. I now know better, and am now trying to figure out a
way to get the dust cap out of the hub hole. As soon as I get home from
work, I'll try needle nose pliers. Another ploy would be to drill a hole
off to the side of the stud, run a drywall screw into it, and use pliers on
the screw head. to pull the cap out. New cap aren't _that_ expensive.

Thanks for advice,

Jeff

>Jeff
>
>Did you indo the hub nut? the one that holds the wheel bearings on?
>Screw in the rotor screws angain, undo the wheel bearing nut, lever out the
>slotted washer, and try pulling the whole assembly off. Once its off then
>remove the rotor.
>There is a cotter pin way down in the hub. There is also a small access
>hole in the wire wheel spline so you can get to this cotterpin.
>It's no fun getting that cotter out but it can be done.
>If you have a puller that would be better then a hammer. If you use a
>hammer, back it up with a wood block so you don't trash the rotor.
>
>Good Luck
>Frank
>
>--
>Frank Clarici
>Seeing all of you at Sprite Rush 98
>For more info on Sprite Rush, the 40th anniversery of the Sprite
>Check out my home page  http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
http://www.emory.edu/molvis