Stalling GT6 - Resolution!

To: <NASS-club@yahoogroups.com>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Stalling GT6 - Resolution!
From: "Bill Gingerich" <wrgingerich@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 22:29:34 -0500
Greetings, all,

A couple of weeks ago I posted a question regarding my youngest son's '72
GT6, and its' inability to run for more than a block or two.  Today, my
oldest son (proud owner of a GT6C project) and I had a chance to spend some
time on the '72.  Our assumption has always been that it was fuel related,
so we started with the 2 fuel filters.  The stock filter, which was replaced
last summer, turned out to be basically plugged.  The aftermarket filter the
youngest had installed just before the carbs had some sediment in it, so we
cleaned it out.  The fuel pump doesn't have a filter screen, but did have
quite a bit of gunk in it.  Since we had a new pump with a screen in it, we
put that in.  We also decided to check out the fuel tank.  We popped the
sender out, and found enough crap in the bottom of the tank to clog a few
dozen filters.  Having a very clean tank on the shelf, we decided to swap
tanks.  While we had the tank out, we blew out the line.  More crap.  Once
we had everything back together we started it up.  Oh, what a difference!
Fairly smooth idle, great throttle response, and revved willingly.  I backed
it out of the shop and headed down the road in front of the house.  Great
acceleration, smooth power, and it stayed running too!  It's amazing what a
little fuel flow can do.  We still have some work to do tweaking it, but
we've taken care of the biggest issue.  We called the youngest at work and
told him we had found the problem with his car.  You could almost hear his
smile through the phone.

On behalf of my sons, I thank everyone that made suggestions, particularly
those who suggested sediment in the tank.  I wouldn't have made that
discovery for a very long time.

Bill Gingerich

Lake Crystal, MN

'74 Spitfire