Was "Locate engine in gearbox"

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Was "Locate engine in gearbox"
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 15:49:34 -0400
Sorry to hijack this thread, but how easy is it to remove, or more
accurately to
replace, the motor and gearbox as a unit?  My daughter was nice enough to
blow
the engine in her neon (no, you can't drive 20 miles at 60mph without any
oil
pressure) so I now own an engine hoist.  Previously I had removed the
spitfire
engine by gutting the interior, pulling off the transmission, flywheel and
cylinder
head and then muscling it out with a 2X4 which was a bit of a project.
Supposedly
it's much easier pulling out the combined unit, but for reinstallation I
can't imagine
lining up the transmission mounts, reinstalling and bleeding the clutch
slave cylinder,
installing the backup lights and speedo cable etc without actually pulling
the
transmission cover.

Words of wisdom sought.

Thanks!