Re: Mk III Running Problems

To: Martin Pearce <dungey@pearcem95.freeserve.co.uk>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mk III Running Problems
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:41:34 -0700 (PDT)
Is the car really overheating,or is the temp gauge
a bit wacky?

My advice:  Fix any overheating problem before
worrying about what is happening to the carbs.

1: Test the thermostat!  Are you sure it is opening?
2: Is the radiator free of deposits?  If in doubt,
   take it to a radiator shop to be boiled out.

My '72 has a flawless cooling system:  Never
overheats, even when stuick in traffic in 95-degree
weather, never leaks, and needs topping-off maybe
once or twice a year.  The secret:  Simply make
sure nothing is broken, worn out, or clogged up.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit