Re: Success on the return throttle front

To: s1500@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Success on the return throttle front
From: public@sweavo.34sp.com
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 14:46:06 +0100
Quoting s1500@comcast.net:

> As for the tachometer front: I hooked up an old-fashioned voltmeter to the
> coil, and watched accordingly as I revved up the engine. The needle acted
> just the same way as the tach did. I hold a higher RPM, and after a second
> the needle goes down. Makes no sense to me.

I haven't been following any interrim posts on this subject, but this still
points to a problem on the low-tension side of your ignition.  Make sure the
points gap (not spark gap) is opening and closing proerly, and that the points
are free to open and close.  Make sure the low tension wire from the coil to
dizzy is good and is connected properly to the terminal in the dizzy.  I had
similar symptoms due to the connector on the end of the LT wire coming loose
from the wire itself - though I have a mechanical tacho so I didn't get the
needle dropping.

> Perhaps this is the punishment I paid for using just the Crane amplifier
> module, and not the optical setup you stuff into the distributor. Wonder if I
> could order the rest of that seperately.

It's probably worth taking that out of the loop for now until you see good
behaviour on the vanilla system.  Then add your chocolate sprinkles.