Interrior Question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Interrior Question
From: rst-john@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:14:53 +0000
Spit-Listers:

I have been lurking about for a long time and not posting much.  Read
diligently though, keep learning a lot.

I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago.  I just realized that the annual
VTR meeting is in Rockford, IL at the end of July, the weathers been
unseasonably warm here, and I need to not only fire up the beast, I need to get
to that spring to do list like now.

Great recent advice on carpet sets, I'm buying one.  Here's my question:

I have the original seats in my '70 MK III.  As you might imagine, the foam in
the seats is just a memory that has mostly ended up in the vacuum.  I need new
foam, and would really like to replace the seat covers because they are not
looking real good these days either (I attribute this to my lifestyle during
college in the mid to late 70's).  If I get all of the above can I do this job
my self, or should I get a professional upholstery type person to do the seats?
 The 1970 seats are fairly unique in style, am I going to get good quality foam
and seat covers that fit properly?  Anyone out there that has done 1970 seats
that can make a recommendation of supplier for the new materials?

PS. I tried to post this last summer when the list went down briefly and never
saw it.  Some of the conversation has turned to the same again and I thought
I'd just add my .02.  I have one of Joe Curry's camber compensator's on my car
and I could not believe the difference after installation.  I know the
compensator is specifically designed for the rear wheel tuck which I never
probably came close to doing in the 27 years of driving the car before
installation, but  it made the whole feel of the car much more solid and
tighter.  The back end is a little more bouncy now but its a good bouncy.  I
highly recommend one for any MK I, II of III owners out there.  Cheap and easy
to install too.

Thanks for any help,

Ron St. John
1970 Spitfire Mk III