Carbs

To: "spitfires list" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carbs
From: "Martin Pearce" <dungey@pearcem95.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:50:58 +0100
Interesting question for the list but a bit of background first.

Have been having some running problems with my Mk1 Spit, which has ended up
with replacing the Points, Contacts, Dist Cap, Sparks, Leads, Coil &
Distributor.  Still had a few issues, so I installed electronic ignition
(wow what a change in performance!).  Reset the timing and took her out for
a spin.

All well and good for 45 mins or so and then we have some hesitancy when
trying to accelerate.  Got bad that I couldnt get her to rev above 3,500.
Felt more like fuel than ignition system.

Have just been looking at the carbs.  I noticed that the front carb lifts
first with the back carb following behind.  Firstly is this normal?  I would
have thought that they should both rise at the same rate?  Both have a light
oil which to be honest isnt just under the level it should be at.  Used a
screwdriver to lift the chamber and the front one does as expected, slight
hesitation in the engine and then settles back.  Back one didnt seem to make
much difference.  Did it a couple of more times and then it performed as the
front.

Me thinks I have a problem with the back carb, but not sure where to start.
Have sent off a few emails to see how much refurbishing them would be.

On thing I must add is that when I had the running problems the temp was a
very humid 29C.  This may have played its part.

Any help, much appreciated.

Martin
'63 Spit4