Re: Stromberg dashpot oil

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stromberg dashpot oil
From: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:52:19 -0600
You'll probably get a number of responses, and maybe even some that
agree on the answer!

Any lighter weight oil will do, or use the same stuff you put in the
crankcase.  Too thick and you'll get poor throttle repsonse, too thin
and the dampers can flutter, causing rough running.  But a fair number
of road racers who run Strombergs will use no oil at all, as they aren't
terribly worried about rough running and poor performance while motoring
about town.

Marvel Mystery oil, automatic tranny fluid, 3 in 1, or even official
dashpot oil is available.  I myself use air tool oil, mainly because
I always have a bottle of it around the shop and it is easy to put
in because of the small spout.  At the moment, though, I don't have
any running cars with Strombergs, just Webers.

mjb.