Re: gloppy paint and a new web page

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: gloppy paint and a new web page
From: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:20:55 -0400
On Monday, July 12, 2004, at 01:57 PM, s1500@comcast.net wrote:

> Any advice? Or should i look for a new brand of paint here? A bit
> disconcening.

Try these guys:

http://paintscratch.com/

Pros - sprays well, dries fast, rubs out nice, matches old Triumph
colors perfectly
Cons - expensive at $29 a 12-oz aerosol can. It was worth it to me when
I bought a hard top on Ebay that was a different color than my car. One
can gave me three coats and the color matched exactly.

They also sell small bottles for touchups and larger amounts if you
have a spray gun. The prices for gallons and half gallons were in line
with what my local paint jobbers were quoting to me for PPG Omni and
the guy at the PPG place wouldn't guarantee the color would even be
close. I got a half gallon of acrylic enamel from PaintScratch last
month and it repainted my entire car, plus the color was prefect.

N.B. - Special thanks to "Doc" from this list who sent me three emails
filled with valuable tips on painting. The car turned out looking like
a champ, I'll post photos some day soon.

On the other hand, if you just want to paint items like sunshade
holders, I've always had good luck with the Plasti-Kote line of auto
paints:

http://www.plastikote.com/plastikote/splash/index.jsp

They have a dealer locator on their webpage, they have dealers
worldwide. Their "Crimson Red" is a close substitute for Triumph's
"Damson", which is what I use.

> Who are the ad wizards who thought cardboard would make a great
> backing for interior parts?

Ad wizards? I say blame the MBAs and the other suits in the boardroom.
Witness the recent acquisition of Volvo by Ford. Since that time, I've
noticed a distinct decline in quality of the parts I've bought from the
dealer, plus the aggravation of having them unilaterally cancel several
extended warranties which had already been paid for. Thanks, guys. I
guess shafting your customers is easier than building a quality product.

<rant mode off>

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC
'72 MkIV