Question about wheels

To: "'Spitfires@autox.team.net'" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Question about wheels
From: Jack Rice <jrice@iosinc.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:29:22 -0700
I'm taking on my first restoration. It's a 1970 Spitfire MkIII.  Got it in a
yard from a friend of my brothers, been sitting since 97.  Overall the body
seems pretty straight with very few dents or problems. Paint look like
someone was starting to work on it and a few tiny rust spots here and there,
nothing major.  The motor was supposed to be in reasonable working order,
but hasn't run in some time.  I've started pretty much stripping it down.
The interior has some rust in foot wells, but not too bad. The typical
battery box damage.  It's a bit more than I wanted to take on the first time
but doable, I've really enjoyed it so far.  I'm on a bit of a budget so I'm
trying to visit salvage yards etc. to find what I can.  My question is
regarding wheels for the car.  I have 3 older style aftermarket slotted mag
type wheels(the 70's look) and can't seem to find a 4th.  I saw the same
wheels on the "Jamaican Triumph" that was in the newsletter a while back.  I
understand they are no longer produced.  What other wheels will fit the
Spit?  I've seen some other decent rims at some of the salvage yards on Fiat
Spiders that look pretty close.  I heard they are slightly different.  I
believe I read somewhere that some of the MG wheels may fit.  I want to stay
with the 13" wheel.  Any thoughts on what I could look for?  Also I live in
the Los Angeles/ Orange County area of California, anyone know of any
salvage yards or places that specialize in British cars?  I've gotten all
the catalogues, but want to try and find anything used that makes sense.  I
plan on attending the San Diego event this Sunday to see what's out there
and talk to others.  I could go on forever with questions.  Enough for now.

Cheers,

Jack