Re: Texas Emissions Standards

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Texas Emissions Standards
From: Jambone <jambone6@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 06:28:27 -0700 (PDT)
Mike,

I live in the D/FW area and here's what I know about the emission standards,
based on my own experiences.  First, your '78 should be exempt from any
emissions testing (probe up the tailpipe) since it is now 25 years old.  Only
certain counties (e.g. Dallas, Tarrant, and some of the surrounding ones)
require emissions testing anyway.  The inspection stations _should_ check for
original emissions equipment and fail you if you don't have it.  In practice,
most of the guys performing the inspectors have no idea what equipment a LBC is
supposed to have.  I have a '76 Spitfire with all of the original equipment and
have never had any problems passing inspections.

Hope that helps,
Brian