Re: Carb Linkage

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carb Linkage
From: kmdalton@AircraftBraking.com
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:17:25 -0400
John wrote,

Sorry about the pictures. Here is my web site:
www.lifeportraits.net

I have posted the photos on the third page, sorry best I could do.
Thanks again for the help.

Sincerely,

John D. Benson

Hello John,

I looked at your pictures and there are a lot of things missing on your
linkage but made up for with some substitute parts.  I have the same setup
on my 70 GT6 but have replaced the vertical link with the two plastic ball
cups with spherical rod ends and a threaded rod.  You need to use a
shoulder bolt at the throttle shaft end.  The existing ball can be removed
by drilling out the rivet that holds it in place.  I do not remember the
size of the shoulder bolt but can measure it if need be.  The lower
connection uses the same.  I can send you a picture tomorrow if you like.

The choke cables attach to the carburetors with a metal clip which breaks
easily.  I do not know if they are available new anymore or not.  Also,
there are spring metal contraptions (sorry about the description) that link
the rods together between the carbs (in your picture they are hose clamps).
These allow quick and easy disconnect for carb tuning.  The other thing
that can be a point of contention is at the firewall.  The bushings
(plastic) that the throttle pedal shaft (again, excuse my description) ride
in tend to wear out and allow the shaft to ride in the sheet metal of the
firewall.  This allows a lot of slop in the throttle actuation.  They are a
royal pain to change so hopefully yours are OK.  Email me direct if you
need the pictures as I follow on the digest version.

Hope that this helps,

Kevin Dalton