Diff drain

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "NASS" <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Diff drain
From: "Bill Gingerich" <wrgingerich@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 21:52:13 -0500
Greetings, Fellow Listers!

Please forgive me! I know this has been discussed multiple times, but I've
misplaced the answer.  While the rear suspension, etc. is out of the car,
I'd like to add a drain to the diff in my '74 Spit.  There is a nice flat
spot on the bottom near the housing bolt holes.  This seems like the logical
spot, correct?  Of course I don't want the metal shavings from the drilling
& tapping to get inside, so I want to dissasemble the housing.  The Bentley
manual seems to indicate that the pinion needs to be removed before
splitting the case.  Can I open the diff without pulling the pinion?  Thx to
all.

BillG
'74 Spit with it's tail in the air
'73 stealth Spit under earth tone tarp behind the garage
'71 GT6 still waiting for restoration