SU carbs

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: SU carbs
From: Glenn Trunnell <trunnell@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 21:24:17 -0400
Hello list,

I have 2 SU carbs that I am going to post on e-bay next week, but I
thought I would give the list a chance first.  The first carb is an SU
HIF 44.  It was remanufactured about 1 year ago by Burlen fuel systems
and imported by Mini-Mania in California.  It comes with a billet
aluminum air horn from APT and an oval K and N chrome filter and a heat
shield and spacer block.  It has the yellow spring and a new needle.  I
can check what needle it has I don't recall right off hand.  It is in
perfect condition and I ran it for about a year on my Spit with a
modified ZS manifold.  This is the  same carb that Victoria British is
getting $550.00 dollars for as a replacement for the ZS on late model
MGBs.  It has a manual choke and worked great on my Spit, it will also
work on a Mini and is a common upgrade, It should also work on other
A-series engines.  The great thing about using it on a Spit is that it
has  connections for all the vapor and vacuum lines and it works great.
The only disadvantage is that the fuel inlet is on the wrong side and
you need to bend a piece of fuel line 180 degrees to connect to it.
There is a boss on the proper side of the carb that looks like it could
be drilled to allow the fuel inlet to be moved to the other side.  I'd
like to get $200.00 for the whole setup.  I also have a second SU HIF 6
carb which is nearly identical, but some of the connections are on the
wrong side for a Spit.  It was also completely rebuilt and even has a
new float bowl cover ($25.00 for that part alone) it will also work on
just about anything.  I'd like to get $65.00 for it.  These are 1.75
inch carbs and flow about 220 - 240 cfm from all the figures I have
seen.  If anybody has any interest in them for one of their LBCs let me
know.

Thanks,
Glenn Trunnell