Re: got the oil plug out now the real issue!

To: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: got the oil plug out now the real issue!
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 22:55:21 -0400
At 10:20 PM 5/12/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>Replace the main bearings while you're at it (about $20 for the set of mains
>and $20
>for the set of rod bearings) and most DEFINITELY replace the thrust washers
>(about $6).

If you have an engine with somewhat worn bearings, but no other real problems,
it is really worth putting in new bearing shells without getting the
crank reground?  Or will the no-longer-smooth crank just beat up the
new bearings?

I have been thinking about doing it, but I am not certain how long they will
last...

Doug Braun
'72 Spit