Re: Pulling the O/D -- question...

To: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: Pulling the O/D -- question...
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 11:29:32 -0700
Douglas Braun wrote:

> You have to pull the OD rearward at least 6 inches or so, to allow the it to
>clear
> the transmission's output shaft.  It might be hard or impossible to do this
> without the OD getting blocked by the driveshaft hump in the floorpan,
> even if you lift the transmission up as far as you can.
>
> Even if you get the OD off that way, it might be quite hard to re-install
> it, since you have to fiddle with splines, etc deep inside it to get
>everything to
> mesh properly.
>
> But I have never actually tried.  If somebody else says "I did it, and it was
>worth it",
> I would not be in a position to argue with them.  :-)
>
> Doug Braun
>
>  At 10:27 AM 5/12/2003 -0700, you wrote:
> >After failing to rectify the problem with my D-type overdrive (which
>according
> >to the PO was freshly rebuilt, but failed fairly quickly after getting back
>on
> >the road), I've decided to pull it out and send it out for some professional
> >help.
> >Here's my question:
> >
> >According to the manual, I need to pull the entire transmission in order to
> >remove the O/D unit from the gearbox.  Due to the weight and awkard
> >positioning of doing that, I'm wondering if it might be possible to remove
>the
> >O/D without having to unbolt the bell housing.  Has anyone ever tried this?

Doug and Jeff,
It is possible to remove the entire transmission/OD out the inside of
the car.  The forward lip of the tunnel may offer a bit of restriction
and can be trimmed to make the job easier.  But I doubt you will be able
to take the gearbox off the bell housing since the bolts that secure it
are inside the bell housing itself.  Look for one of those aluminum ones
before going back in with it and it will make stabbing it much easier.

Joe