Re: A better way to check the trans oil??? questions with the

To: "Tim Benner" <tbenner@woh.rr.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A better way to check the trans oil??? questions with the
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 21:51:36 -0400
At 09:18 PM 5/7/2003 -0400, Tim Benner wrote:
>Greetings from Ohio,
>
>My '65 Spitfire  has been making some odd whizzing noises from somewhere in
>or behind the transmission/overdrive.  After several attempts to check the
>oil level from underneath without a lift, I overcame the reluctance to tear
>the interior up  and pulled the tunnel cover off.    This is the only way I
>can see to do this job without a lift and still have the car level.
>Besides, it turns out that it's good to look under there once in a while.

It IS possible to get at the plug from below, it's just a little tricky..

>Now that the transmission  is drained I am ready to fill it with Red Line
>MT90. Shaking the bottle, it seems as thin as ATF.   I have seen this
>recommended but is it OK for overdrive?

I have used MT90 in my OD tranny fro 2 or 3 years now, and I am 100% satisfied.

>The top (yes the top) of the trans and OD are oily.  It is difficult to
>pinpoint the source.  I think that oil must be blowing out of somewhere up
>there while driving as there is no way that even a quart drained out...  and
>there are no spots under the trans on the garage floor.    The OD has been
>working perfectly.   Is there a common cause for oil coming from the top?
>Any way to diagnose?  We may be taking a ride without the cover on to see
>what it is doing.

Mine was leaking at the very top, where the shifter shaft enters and leaves
the inner portion of the extension housing.  Naturally, this made the entire
transmission oily.
I replaced the two O-rings and it stopped leaking.   To get at these O-rings,
you have
to pretty much dismantle the entire extension housing/linkage assembly.

It is a smart idea to drive around for a few days with the cover off.  Just
watch out for
the moving parts!

>The right angle drive for the speedo is free to rotate around  its mounting
>point on the OD case.  This cannot be a normal state... or can it?  I cannot
>find any information on this part of the car. ..

Mine tightens up firmly.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit