Progress!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Progress!
From: "George P." <ygpz4re@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 08:55:00 -0400
Well, I made a lot of progress on my SU's last night.

I had called Joe Curto about buying some new linkages for the "choke"
(linkage that goes from the mechanism on the carb body to the bottom of the
jet to drop it down when I pull out the choke knob).  The linkages I have
are bent wire, about 1/8" in diameter (maybe 9/64") and appeared to have
been bent to fit a number of times.  Joe told me that all I needed to do was
to fiddle with the linkages to get them to work, so that's what I did.

I had also had a problem in the past with the jet on the front carb sticking
in the down position after the choke knob had been pushed back in.  As I
looked at the linkage, jet, etc., it occurred to me that the fuel tube from
the float bowl was putting sideways pressure on the jet, causing it to bind
in the jet bearing.  I thought this was going to be an on-going problem, but
after fiddling with the linkage (per Joe Curto's suggestion), I got it to
operate smoothly and freely.  The rear carb didn't have this problem, but
still needed some tiny tweaking of the linkage.

So the carbs are both back on the manifold and are ready for the process of
resetting all the initial settings and prepping for initial start-up.
Hopefully tonight I'll be able to fire it up.

But here's another question:  I have the Delco distributor that I got from
Joe Curry with the vernier timing adjustment.  I have the vernier adjustment
at the center of its travel.  Is that the correct starting place?  I figure
I can twist the dist to get my initial timing and then use the vernier for
fine-tuning.

Here's another question about Delco distributors:  I got the recent Moss
Spitfire/TR-7 catalog, and they noted that the Pertronix Ignitor is not
available for Spitfire's with Delco distributors.  Is this really true?  And
why does Moss bunch the Spit with the 7 in the same catalog?  Do they share
that many components??

Thanks.  Looking forward to more progress tonight.

George P.