Wheel stud upgrade

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wheel stud upgrade
From: "Larry Vaughan" <lvaughan@pldi.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 22:01:40 -0500
I bought some used Western five slot aluminum wheels recently. Lug nuts were
not included. The seller said to upgrade the wheel studs to 7/16X20 and lug
nuts would be easier to find.
I checked out the www.triumphspitfire.com site and found an article about
this process. the stud used was some obscure Dorman 610-175. A 71-74 Mercury
Capri was referenced as no longer valid? An added comment referenced a
Mercury Merkur stud.
I knocked out one of the rear studs on my '77 Spit frame, I just got the
body off recently, and went to O'reilly's.
The Spifire stud knurl measured 5.18, it came out with a couple of gentle
whacks, the Merkur stud, which was not in stock, measured 5.62, at the knurl
and is 12 mmX1.50.
What 7/16X20 stud with at least 7/8 thread length fits with the least amount
of grinding to fit?
Larry