Re: The goldarndest thing!

To: "Joe Curry" <Spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: The goldarndest thing!
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 16:07:49 -0800
That was my first thought/hope.  But no, the bearing retention plate is in
place with the four allen bolts.  Something internal on the diff let go...

Ugh, I really hate the thought of having to remove the differential, but I
have no choice.  It was running really smooth, too.  No whining or strange
noises.  Dang.

Oh well.  This gives me a good excuse to install new u-joints on the half
shafts.  The propshaft uj's are new, so now is as good a time as any to
replace the others.

The news isn't all bad.  At I found a tach in my collection that works
properly.  I had the chance to road test that, at least!  And things could
have been a LOT worse, so I need to count my blessings.  To have the
differential fail 20 feet from the garage in your own driveway is a heckuva
lot better to just about any other alternative I can think of.

Best wishes,

Jeff