Re: Diff cleanout

To: <ralemen@cableone.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Diff cleanout
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:03:02 -0800
An older Autobook Spitfire manual that I have warns against trying to rinse out
the diff with kerosene, etc.  They say that you will not be able to remove all
of
it, and it will simply contaminate the new oil.

I guess you could rinse it with same kind of gear oil that you plan to fill
it with...   :-)

To add a drain plug, you would certainly have to take apart the unit to ensure
that
no chips get inside.  Personally, if I ever felt like draining mine, I would try
take a piece of soft copper tubing, bend it until it reaches to
the lowest point, and suck the old oil out.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit