Re: Indicators x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Indicators x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 19:24:40 +0000
On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, at around 17:24:00 local time, James Carruthers
<j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk> wrote:
>Hi Listers,
>

>Im having trouble with my indicatators, having checked everything's
>plugged in (I think....) I didnt have anything to go on - however
>yesterday I finally installed a voltmeter gauge - Ive found that when
>the indicators are on, the voltage drops quite a bit.

Dear James,

Sounds like a short circuit.   How much is "quite a bit"?   The voltage
and current should drop a little when the indicators are on - they are
drawing current, after all.

>This is a very cool effect on the voltmeter - it sort of ticks from side
>to side - but my indicators seem to decide when they want to work
>themselves - they always work - just sometimes they dont flash - and
>sometimes its less of a flash, and more of a blip every now and then.

Sounds like a dodgy ground (earth), or, just possibly, a dodgy flasher
unit.

>They dont work at all when Im pressing the foot brake - but they work
>when the hand brake is on.

That is Lucas, the Prince of Darkness, playing with your mind.   Ignore
it (unless you have servo brakes).

>Another thing - there is a connector that comes out of the fuse box -
>its negative - and it isnt attached anywhere - its next to the wire that
>connects to the optional map light - Im guessing perhaps this should
>attach to the dash by way of a bolt or something - as it has a large
>circular connector on the end of it.

<g>   Yup, that's an earth wire.   From memory, I can't recall whether
it is part of the indicator circuit or not, but it certainly wouldn't
hurt to attach it where it belongs (where the map-light fits).

Do you own a circuit tester?   If so, start at the switch, and work your
way around the circuit.   If not, go and buy a cheap V/A meter, start at
the switch...

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FM105671