Which engine to use ?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Which engine to use ?
From: JohnZissler@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:53:52 EST
Hi all, A question of which engine to use has arisen here,  Here are the
facts
Engine No 1, this is an untried unit that  was taken from a Spit that the
owner was restoring, the owner had got as far as bolting on the engine and
gearbox and all the brake pipes on the chassis. There was no bodywork on this
chassis. The engine turns well. I have yet to start it properly. I am
intending to just install it on my new chassis and connect it up for a trial
start to see what it sounds like. The engine number on this unit is
FH32016HE.

Engine number 2. This is an engine that has had hardened seats put in the
head. The engine ran well when i drove it home before i started the resto. I
took the gearbox off to replace the clutch and release bearing. But havent
replaced anything yet. Engine number is FD23635HE

Now my question(s), Can I install the unleaded head from the FD engine and
put it on the FH engine?   next, if i can swap it over, which is the better
engine ? Its a bit pointless swapping the head over if I would be putting it
on an inferior engine.I have read posts that say the later engine has larger
bearings and are that much stronger and will last longer ?

Now for some of you that would say why would I want to do this, well it all
comes down to money, If I was to go with the unleaded motor then I would have
to get a full clutch set plus a decoke set, plus other bits and pieces. If i
had the money this would be my preferred route. But if I went with the
unknown engine it is just a bolt in unit. If I am able to swap the head then
all I need to get is a head gasket and rocker cover gasket, everything else
is there. Of course in the long run this could be false economy. I am just
keeping fingers crossed that this untried engine is ok, and that when i do a
static start that all my fears will be unfounded. Well,  we have all done
that havent we. As for the hassle, its no hassle, taking engines out of
Triumphs must have been bred in me, I dont mind it a bit. So there we
are......which one ?  and do i swap the head...........Thanks....... I wait
with spanners at the ready

Happy Spitting...................John (in the United Kingdom)
Spit Mk II (1966) in bits..or as some would say (in restoration)
Spit Mk III donor car     ( I am nearly a collector)
Mk IV chassis with all running gear.......(I AM a collector)
Outgoing mail is Virus Free.