Re: Photographic proof

To: Larry Vaughan <lvaughan@pldi.net>
Subject: Re: Photographic proof
From: Alan Lemen <ralemen@cableone.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 21:39:28 -0700
Larry I put a pair or twin SU on my car. So have a number of others.
Follow the setup instructions for after a rebuild in the manuals (
Haynes or Bentley) and you should not have any trouble. I don't see why
they would be any different than putting on the Webers. They would not
ruin the cylinders any more than any other type of carb. I assume you
mean by running too rich.
Personally for me it would be a worry putting on Webers as I am more
familiar with SU carbs.
I put twin HS4 on my 1500 to replace the single Stromberg as well. Easy
to get setup up and running. Initial setting gets the car running not
bad and not to far out from where it needs to be. Just don't forget to
make sure you have that main throttle return spring attached. You know
who forgot that one.....

All carbs need some form of initial setting to get the car running and
warmed up and then fine tuning.
Also if you have the SU HS4 (1 1/2 inch) or HS2 they are so easy to
adjust, especially on the Spitfire (they are more awkward on a Healey or
an MGB in comparison due to limited space but do adjust really easy).
Easier than with that tool you need to use when adjusting Strombergs as
well. Webs may also be easy but I've never had one.

If you were going to put on twin Webs then you must have some form of
balancing air flow which is the same for the Sue's.
Apart from that no special tools are needed.

Alan