RE: MK1 Spitfire Convertible Top Mounts Wanted

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MK1 Spitfire Convertible Top Mounts Wanted
From: sinclair@degenkolb.com
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 11:03:30 -0800
Thanks Larry

I everything for the MK1 setup including a nice new top, and, thanks to Joe
Curry (thanks Joe !), the mounting brackets - so think I will go that
route.

I think that having the whole covertible top and frame removeable - either
in the MK1 style or as you suggest, is a better option than the fold behind
the seat system.  I find that space is very useful for carrying stuff and
it is almost useless with the later style convertible top and frame
occupying it.  Occasionally I will also keep the spare tyre in that
location to allow for storing larger items in the boot that need to be
locked up (like my toolbox!).

Anyone else care to comment?
Cheers
Mark

~~CUT
> Also - if anyone has a better idea to achieve the end objective I'm
open
> to suggestions.

Mark,
When I added a roll bar (from MG Mitten, if I remember correctly --wow,
that shows my age :-)) to my Mk3, I found that the top just cleared the
roll bar, but would not fold. I improvised by replacing the screws that
bolted the top frame to the body behind the doors with short studs and
wing nuts. I could quickly spin off the wing nuts and pop the frame off
when I wanted to remove the top. It took slightly longer to unscrew the
2 chromed bolts fastening the back of the convertible top to the car.
After undoing everything, I could lift the frame and top, fold it, and
store it in the trunk. The studs protruded 1" or so and made it easier
to put the top back. The only disadvantage was the nicks in the vinyl
behind the doors from occasional misses when slipping the top and frame
back on.

Just an alternative idea for you.

Thanks,
Larry Griffin