Re: Brake pedal shudder & squeak on rear tyres

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake pedal shudder & squeak on rear tyres
From: idhtfts@rogers.com
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 19:33:37 -0400
At 03:20 PM 8/29/02, you wrote:
>Mitchell, Doug (D.B.) wrote:
>
> >How much higher tyre pressure are you talking about? On my
> >'73, I try to keep close to the original spec. I feel the
> >ride is much too hard if you go too far over the recommended
> >pressures. I generally keep mine at 22-23 front and 26-28
> >rear.

1973 tire pressures are based on tire technology from the 60's and
70's. They are based on faithfully installing the exact tire size that
it was recommended back then. You may say the car hasn't changed any in
design, but the tire design most certainly has with regards to sidewall
flex etc.  I don't think radials were the original factory tire but I
can't say for sure regarding the 73 because mine is a 67 model.

Everything from performance to comfort will be derived at pressures
that are different from the original spec. Also tire wear expectations
will be based on the current tire manufacturer's pressure range
recommendation for a car that approximates your cars weight .

Perhaps the original pressure figures will coincide with what works
best, but don't just use them because the handbook recommended it in
1973.

-Maurice