Re: Brake pedal shudder & squeak on rear tyres

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake pedal shudder & squeak on rear tyres
From: Ben Miller <No1BroncoFan@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:20:40 -0700
Mitchell, Doug (D.B.) wrote:

>James,
>
>Assuming that the shudder to which you refer is a pulsating
>brake pedal, I would suggest that you have the front brake
>rotors checked for runout. (Trueness). This is usually an
>indication of a warped rotor.
>
>How much higher tyre pressure are you talking about? On my
>'73, I try to keep close to the original spec. I feel the
>ride is much too hard if you go too far over the recommended
>pressures. I generally keep mine at 22-23 front and 26-28
>rear.
>
>As far as replacing the dampers, yes they are much easier on
>the rear than on the front.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Doug
>
>--
>Doug Mitchell
>mailto:dbmitch@peoplepc.com
>'73 Spitfire 1500 - about to celebrate 27 years of ownership
>'73 Stag - about to celebrate 1 year of ownership

This can also be caused by a rough spot in the drums or drums that are
out of true. I had a Honda many years ago which had a drum which had
frozen to the shoe. I never had it fixed properly (the repair would have
cost more than the car was worth) I just dealt with the pulsating brake
pedal.

Ben

--
Corvallis, Or.