RE: Rub down for respray time? (long)

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "James Carruthers"
Subject: RE: Rub down for respray time? (long)
From: <ralemen@cableone.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:39:13 -0700
James a couple of years ago I had done exactly what you are thinking of doing (
but I let the guy that did the painting do the prep as well, as power sanding
down all the old paint etc. is messy.)

I did strip everything off the car but for plates lights and windscreen.  So no
door handles, all the tonneau/top fasteners, spoiler, trim over the boot,
wipers, side markers (you don't have them)

Took the number plates and lights off (had already removed the headlight trim)
when I got there and we cut out the windscreen rubber (I had a new one to go
in). That left the drivers seat which also came out. He masked off around the
carpet etc. so that new paint, for example, came underneath all the rubbers
seals etc. It makes for a neat job. A PO had had a tape job done and it looked
nasty around the windscreen etc.

Took one day to strip all the bits off, including making sure the other parts
would come off easily - like rear light covers in the boot removed and nuts all
loosened to check nothing rusted in place.

He did have the car for ~8 weeks but he worked in a body shop part time (ended
up full time so it took longer than originally planned) and did the work at
weekends and evenings. Originally it was supposed to be ~4 weeks.

I would say at least half the time was him stripping down to metal in some
places, knocking out the dents, filling it finely before he got around to doing
the primer. Can't tell exactly how long he spent though.

If I'd had the space (so that I could the mess in) and tools I would have done
some of the prep myself.

Alan