Re: Body off resto

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Body off resto
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:22:26 -0400
Larry,

In regards to your question, I've been told that a "good
comercial" restoration shop should take about 700 hr to
restore a car.  But they will farm out as much as they can
and replace many parts that are useable, but the labor to
clean would be more than the replacement cost.

So on the 1 hand you're looking a a min. of 700 hours.

When I restored my 65 Morgan, I did all the work myself,
I logged 1741 hours in 4 years.  After it was finished and
I starte showing it Nationally with the Antique Automobile
Club of America I spent another 300 hours working on the car
to get my National Senior award.

I'm currently doing a body off restoration on my 75 Bricklin.
I've been working on it since 95 and have logged over 1700
hours.  Still have quite a ways to go yet.

Now you're looking at someplace between 700 and 1700 hours.

So, depending on how far down you really want to go,
how picky you are, how much you can send out to others,
you may, just may be able to do it in the time frame
you are talking about.

Good luck, and don't let us rabel rousers and nay sayers
stop you from trying.

John

        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan