gaskets and re-starting engine

To: Spitfire Enthusiast <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: gaskets and re-starting engine
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 10:25:49 -0700 (PDT)
For the first time in over month I actually have some time to spend on
getting Saskia back on the road.  When I last left the project a few
weeks ago I had removed the cylinder head, water pump, manifold and
carbs.

Today I have cleaned up the new rocker gear that I got from spitfire
graveyard with gunk, it came up very nicely.  I have also scraped all of
the gasket faces with a knife and sanded them down to remove all of the
muck (water pump, manifold, down-pipe, carbs.  I only scraped the head
and block without sanding.

I also had to make a small JB Weld repair to the water pipe on the inlet
manifold as it had rusted away at either end.

Tomorrow I have the 'simple' job of putting it all back together.  I was
going to clean up the gasket faces with brake cleaner before
re-assembling.  Is there anything in particular I should do to ensure
that the gaskets all make a good seal?

I am going to use some liquid gasket on the manifold/downpipe rather than
no gasket as other listers have advised.

I also have some liquid gasket that use as well as the gasket (rather
than instead of).  I don't have any plans to use this anywhere, is there
anywhere that you would advise I do use it?

On restarting the engine I was going to make sure that the rockers were
well coated in oil, are there any other precautions that I should take?

cheers all,
John
HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com