Spitfire OD Gear shift lever

To: teamx <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire OD Gear shift lever
From: Roger Elliott <elliottr@rmi.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 21:06:37 -0500
Hi ,

I am in the process of putting my transmission back into the Spitfire.
I am looking at the shift lever (1980 w od)  and I would like to replace
the nylon  hemisphere that the shift lever moves back and forth on.  I
remember helping a friend put one in a non-od car it made a huge
difference in the shift feeling.  Unfortunately, I don't see a way to
get it onto the lever. Does the OD lever separate into two pieces? and
is the part available?  I have seen a similar part as part of  shift
lever rebuild kit for earlier Spits

Thanks,

Roger Elliott