Ugly noises....

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Ugly noises....
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 10:12:35 -0400
Not a good night last night - Freddy came home on a tow truck for the first
time in the 6 years I have had him. Was driving along in traffic, and
realized that I was getting a loud clacking noise above 3K rpm. Sounded
kind of like a blown out exhaust manifold gasket. Gradually over the course
of a mile or two the rpm to make the noise got lower and lower. Idles fine,
(actually runs fine except for the noise) but rev at all over 2K and it
clatters. Decided discretion was the better part of valor and pulled over
and called AAA. Sounds like it is coming from the valve train area, but I
have not had a chance to investigate yet. Light, but loud clatter. Oil
pressure is fine - I have a gauge.

In preparation for the worst, I do have a 40K mile spare 74 1500 motor.
Freddy currently has a 1296. '77 chassis. I assume everything will
basically just swap between the two long blocks, yes? What about clutch? I
am not sure which transmission I have, it is an O/D box with reverse to the
right of third. Is that the single rail or three rail? I have the slant
radiator cooling system, so I assume I will have to swap water pumps?

Any thoughts on all of this?

Kevin Rhodes
Westbrook, Maine