Re: Brake shoe orientation

To: john@triumphspitfire.com
Subject: Re: Brake shoe orientation
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 16:07:24 -0700
john@triumphspitfire.com wrote:

> Does anyone know if the brake adjuster is supposed to turn in 90 deg.
> increments or the more you turn it, the more it spreads the shoes?
> Reason I ask, I am not sure mine are working correctly. Mine only
> push the shoes out if turned in 90 deg. notches. Have not had time to
> check the other side.

I am afraid it is a little of both.  The adjuster turns in 90 degree increments
but continues to turn until the shoes are spread out.  The reason is
because the adjuster is not a cone but a modified cone with 4 distinct sides.
So when you turn it 90 degrees it reaches one of the sides and then
offers a bit of resistance before going to the next flat side.

> Also,
> There is a bracket that holds the hand brake cable/spring to at the
> back of the hub, sorta shaped like a dime folded into a right angle
> with a hole for the spring to connect. Which direction does this
> bracket point? Manuals show it aimed toward the wheels but both sides
> of mine face the other direction, toward the diff. Same on my parts
> car.  Facing toward the wheels makes it easier to connect the spring
> and looks correct but does not put much tension on the spring.
> Any ideas?

I haven't had any troubles with pointing the bracket downward and toward the
wheel.

Joe