RE: Brake shoe orientation

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Brake shoe orientation
From: john@triumphspitfire.com
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 15:19:36 -0400
Does anyone know if the brake adjuster is supposed to turn in 90 deg.
increments or the more you turn it, the more it spreads the shoes?
Reason I ask, I am not sure mine are working correctly. Mine only
push the shoes out if turned in 90 deg. notches. Have not had time to
check the other side.
Also,
There is a bracket that holds the hand brake cable/spring to at the
back of the hub, sorta shaped like a dime folded into a right angle
with a hole for the spring to connect. Which direction does this
bracket point? Manuals show it aimed toward the wheels but both sides
of mine face the other direction, toward the diff. Same on my parts
car.  Facing toward the wheels makes it easier to connect the spring
and looks correct but does not put much tension on the spring.
Any ideas?
John