RE: seat squab rubber straps

To: <ralemen@cableone.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: seat squab rubber straps
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 10:28:18 -0400
May sure you use really heavy foam on the headrests.  I have
the replacement foams that Rimmer sells, and the headrest foam was not
especially
heavy.  Where it goes around the metal at the top, you can easily feel the
metal right underneath it.  If I ever got rear-ended, the foam would
be effectively useless, and I would have essentially direct skull-to-metal
contact.  Of course, the seat back would collapse before I had any serious
cranial
injury :-)

Go feel the foam of the headrests of a modern car.  It is REALLY stiff.
It would almost make more sense to use molded styrofoam pieces (sort
of like the inside of a bike helmet), covered with a thin foam layer,
than 100% foam.

Overall, I found that the Rimmer seat foams were nicely made, but
the material was WAY too soft, especially around the edges of the
seat base.  Also, the original foams had a genuine molded latex rubber seat
base,
which is a far superior (and more expensive) material than plastic foam.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit