Re: cams

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: cams
From: Glenn Trunnell <trunnell@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 22:51:58 -0500
While it's preferable to get the car running as soon as possible, I have
rebuilt several engines and at times it has taken some time to get them
started and I haven't seen any ill effects on the cam. PROVIDED:1) you
use a cam break-in/assembly lube 2) you prime the oil pump to build
pressure in the system before you attempt to start the engine ( you can
cobble up some kind of adapter for this purpose, I pull the distributor
and the drive gear and use a modified screwdriver in an electric drill)
3) you run the engine at approx. 3000 rpm for at least 30 minutes after
you do get it started to lubricate the cam and to get it initially
broken in and 4) you change the oil and filter after the initial 30+
minutes.  This has always worked for me.   Also some assembly lube can
be used on bearings while some is specifically for cams and lifters.
The lube for the cams only is a thick grease type and shouldn't be used
elsewhere in the engine.

Good luck,

Glenn Trunnell