Re: Gauge Lights and Unleaded

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gauge Lights and Unleaded
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 20:21:22 +0000
In article <11EEFA4B6844D511A0E70008C71E9F01383605@ABDEXH01>, Richard
Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com> writes
>Mike said, of the white/green gauge lights:
>
>...this is designed to minimise glare.   White light is relegated to the
>centre panel, whereas the lights in front of you are shaded green to avoid
>dazzle...
>
>Fair enough, but why not make all the gauges green so they match, as well as
>not dazzling?  I can't believe that the filters cost so much that Triumph
>would have gone THAT far to save a couple of pennies!

I suspect that the previous default was "white".   The step forward to
make the gauges immediately in front of you "green" would, no doubt,
have led to an all-green dashboard illumination eventually, if they'd
kept on building Spitfires into the 1980s.

>Actually, since I have a spare speedo and tacho, I may butcher the filters
>off them and fit them to the other gauges so I can make mine all match.

Nice to know that I am not the only anal retentive on the list...

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"