Re: Not using a Jag -

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Not using a Jag -
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:02:36 -0500
Ah, now I understand.
Not sure what one would gain going this route.

The overall geometry would be essentially unchanged.  Both setups
result in a very short lower suspension arm.  The upper arm stays the
same, the leaf spring.  The stock GT6 has a very short lower wishbone as
the lower suspension arm.  Using a double u-jointed driveshaft as the
lower suspension arm would result in about the same length lower
wishbone.  It would be mounted a little further inboard (at the
differential), but end shorter as well, at the rotoflex joint, instead
of further outboard under the hub.  So you would still get the positive
camber as the suspension moves either up or down.

Jaguarizing it eliminates the ability to adjust camber via relocating
the lower wishbone mount.  Granted the stock GT6 has this welded to the
frame rail, but it can be bolted on instead, and it can be adjusted
outward by using shims, and adjusted vertically by using different
brackets that have the wishbone holes drilled in different locations.  I
have seen this described, with good results, to the stock GT6 rotoflex
suspension.  I think I saw this on a thread in the TotallyTriumph
network, but I'm not sure of that.

it.  The stock GT6 has all the load transmitted through the hub carrier
and to the lower wishbone and spring.  Jaguarizing it would transmit the
load directly through the axle shaft and through the hub carrier to the
spring.

One would still have to fabricate shock mounts for the Spitfire.  Using
Joe Curry's brackets would probably be about the easiest.  That or
simply welding a GT6 bracket to the fender tubs of the Spitfire.

While it should work, I'm not sure one gains anything over the stock
GT6 design going this way.  Especially considering the tuning potentials
of using a bolt on lower wishbone bracket to adjust camber and
suspension geometry.

>>> Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net> 03/19/02 03:20PM >>>
I'm afraid you missed the point. . . you don't *use* a Jag rear end
(way
too large and heavy not to mention the modifications involved) , you
just
make the Spit rear end operate like a jag setup.
This would be for those that want a fully independent rear without
major
body or frame changes, not necessarily a beefier setup.  the only thing
you
would have to really modify to install this in ANY Spitfire would be
the
axle shafts from the GT6 setup - but basically a bolt in installation
It wouldn't give you a stronger rear end, but it would give you a
FULLY
independent one without any body or frame modifications