Re: top installation

To: <WRROOPE@aol.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: top installation
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:05:24 -0500
I was in your position a while ago, and spent several years with my new
top in a box, afraid to attempt installing it for fear of boogering the
job up.

Turns out, it's really not that hard.

Here's the steps I went through to install it, to the best of my
recollection.

Waited until a warm day so the top would be soft and flexible.

Took the top, folded it to mark the centers on the front and rear
edges.  Marked them with a sharpie.  Did the same on the car.

Set the top on the car, and spent a fair amount of time twiddling it
around to learn how it would sit, and how far I should set it forward
and back.

With great fear and trepidation, I poked my first hole, and installed a
snap dead center in the rear.  I then worked my way around the top
installing rear snaps.

Then took glue and smeared it on the leading edge of the top frame.
Pulled the fabric tight over it, smoothing it out, working from the
center outwards.  I had the top frame slightly up, not fully pulled down
and latched.  The theory being that that slight extension would further
pull the top tight.

Total time, about 3 hours, and the top looks good.  I astonished
myself.

Problems I encountered, things I learned, etc.

Don't overpull the fabric when doing the rear snaps.  My center snaps
are fine, but the ones at the rear of the doors are actually too tight.
Then fit, but it's a heck of a fight.  They should be positioned about
1/4 inch lower.  I'm not planning on fixing this because I don't want
exposed holes (and I don't want to glue the holes shut).

Use good glue on the leading edge.  Contact cement and such didn't work
for me.  I ended up using 3M trim adhesive (aka gorilla snot).

Make sure you understand the rear top installation.  I didn't, and as
such, my top has snaps on the rear where it shouldn't (it's supposed to
go under that flat metal sheet), and pops off completely every time I
lower it.

I still don't understand the dozen or so "flaps" that are sewn onto the
top, especially up at the front.  I'm sure they serve a purpose, and I'm
equally sure I don't know what it is.  I just tuck them up out of the
way.  Not willing to cut them off (yet).

>>> <WRROOPE@aol.com> 03/10/02 08:08AM >>>
Well, the weather is finally getting warm enough to put my new top on.
This
is a 76 spit and I don't have the old one to go by. Is there a site
that
gives step by step instructions on installation?