Re: Bodywork

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bodywork
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 19:54:51 +0000
In article <3C679339.A193C790@cam.ac.uk>, T. .R. Dafforn
<td214@cam.ac.uk> writes
>Hi Mike,
>I have done all the body work that you discribe on Sophie (You've seen the
>result!)

I have indeed.   Want to do Carly for me?   There's be a pint of
Spitfire in it for you...

>, and I wouldn't attempt it unless you have a years worth of weekends,
>VERY understanding wife, shares in elastoplast, and good psycotherapy!

This is not an encouraging set of requirements.

>Everyone is right, the sills are the MOST important parts, then the floors.

Thankfully, those are all done.

>Worth also looking at where the rear radius arm mounts, mine was
>waggling in the
>air when I checked (hence wicked rear end bump steer!!)

Will do.

>Rear wings and arches, get them replaced together. can be done pretty quickly,
>(first side 4 weekends, 2nd side 1 weekend I am sure a pro could be much
>quicker) and once done you don't have to worry. BTW get the insides of
>the wings
>coated in copious quantities of hamerite!

That's lots of votes in favour of complete wings/arches, and only one
vote for arches only (and that only if the damage is minor, which I
don't think it is).   I'm beginning to sense a trend here.

>Widescreed surround, you are right, the bit under the windscreen rubber is
>usually in pretty good condition (the reverse of what is usually true,). The
>flange bit rusts first, I think because of water finding its way in from the
>top. These can be bought and replaced, I patched mine.

I think I'll have a go at mine with a wire brush, and see what I find. I
hope I've got to them in time.

>Door skin. get them reskined!

OK

>Bonnet, front edges are a disaster, patched mine, but had to rush it,
>trickey to
>get right!

D*mn.   And I suppose all second-hand bonnets will have gone in exactly
the same place, and that new bonnets will be unobtainable, or cost
hundreds of pounds. :-(

>Rust on the seams (VERY VERY common), mine has same dispite sand blasting, rust
>proofing and repainting with 2-pack.

Bloomin' 'eck, Tucker!   How's a ham-fisted amateur like me supposed to
cope?

> One trick, get some wax-oil, spray it on
>the seam, squidge it in well with you finger, and the T-cut off the rest. Gives
>you a little more time before the rust returns!

Does anyone make an aluminium bonnet?

>In fact spray wax oil in all those sorts of places.
>Hope this helps

A lot.   Many thanks.

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"