Re: engine paint

To: Fred Griffiths <griffco@cadvision.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: engine paint
From: John & Judy Tones <jtones@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 10:27:25 -0800
I believe you will find that Glyptol is (or was) a product of General
Electric and was originally an electrical "varnish". I have seen it used by
manufacturers of every conceivable size of electrical device over the years
as well as on the inside of engine blocks. I would think that if one were
rebuilding an engine and had the block thoroughly steam cleaned that Glyptol
would adhere great. Its purpose inside engines I believe is to enhance the
oil flow over the surfaces by filling all the little imperfections in the
castings. The stuff is incredibly hard wearing and inert to oils and
solvents as we used to use it as a service shop floor paint in the GE mobile
radio shop back in the '60s and we only re-did it about once a year. It used
to be available in the brownish/red color as well as grey plus black and
white but don't know if the other colors are still available but the red and
grey were both on the shelves last year.

No financial involvement, just an old GE employee

John Tones, Victoria, BC