Re: engine paint

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: engine paint
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 13:19:22 -0500
Glyptol is still around.  Eastwood, among others, carries it.

Here's an interesting one for you regarding it.

My old Ford tractor has Glyptol applied to its entire innards.  Engine,
transmission, differential, axle trumpets, etc.  Now Henry Ford was
not one noted for freely spending money on things.  The fact that
he saw fit to apply Glyptol to the innards of his farm tractors has
made me suspect that there's more to the use of this stuff then
I'd ever normally have thought.

>>> Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net> 02/07/02 12:15PM >>>
Painting of anything *inside* the engine is not a good idea.  If anything
should not adhere well and start to flake or chip off then it goes straight
into the oil - potentially dangerous.  About the only thing that I know of
that was used inside engines (way back when) was something called
"Glyptal(?)" that was sometimes applied to the lifter area to aid in oil
drainage - but it was specifically designed to be used this way