Re: GT6 timing curves?

To: Jim Muller <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Subject: Re: GT6 timing curves?
From: mark holbrook <rolling_rock_12@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 19:42:24 -0800 (PST)
When you hear the pinging, let off soon.  The sound
you hear is the aftershock of the incorrect fast burn
of gasoline.  THe burn spreads unevenly against the
cylinder wall.  The noise you hear is the frequency
produced from this sound wave hitting the wall.
Engine temp will also increase with pinging.  Watch
out!
Mark
GT6 Convertible
--- Jim Muller <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net> wrote:
> Okay, campers, some info if you please.  I've gotten
> my GT6 carbqs worked
> out pretty well (thanks to Jeff at Racetune for his
> help), so I wanna' start
> optimizing the timing.  It has no idle retard unit,
> so I'm using the static
> timing spec as a guide to the idle timing.  It is
> set 2 deg later than the
> static spec right now on the premise that I'm not
> really running 1970
> quality gas.  What I'd *like* to do is check it at
> various rpm's higher up
> to see how well its centrifugal mechanism is
> working.  The onliest thing is,
> though, I have no such specs.  Ultimately I'll have
> to do the "listen for
> pinking" thing, but the more pieces of info, the
> better.  (The car can be so
> noisy sometimes that I'm not sure what I'd be
> hearing anyway!)
>
> So what is *your* GT6 set to?  What timing does it
> show at, say, 2500?  If
> mine is set late right now, would I expect any
> particular symptoms other
> than not enough go-fast?  Higher than expected noise
> perhaps?  Unburned
> hydrocarbons in the exhaust?
>
> Tanks,
>
> Jim Muller