Sorting out carb parts

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Sorting out carb parts
From: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:41:46 -0500
Fellow fanatics -

I recently purchased a two pairs of SU carbs (1.25" versions)
with manifold and all parts for a lowly $25 at a
swap show.

The catch? They had been disassembled for cleaning
and never reassembled. Yes, four pistons, four
dashpot dampners, four of everything and no clue
as to which part belongs to which carb.

I've looked over all the tuning FAQs but can not
find any hints on how to go about matching up
parts. Is there some say I can, say, use a caliper
to figure out which piston would work best in
which carb?

Any hints or URLs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC