Re: GT6 timing curves? (knocking)

To: doug@dougbraun.com
Subject: Re: GT6 timing curves? (knocking)
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 12:53:28 -0800
>I could never get my Spit to knock, no matter how far
>I advanced the timing.  Even after I milled the head,
>getting maybe 9:1 compression, it never knocks, even
>with 87 gas and the timing a couple of degrees more
>advanced than the spec.
*******************************
ANY internal combustion engine burning gasoline given enough load and
enough advance timing WILL knock - No if ands or buts.  Knocking or pinging
is the uncontrolled explosion(s) inside the cylinder, not the smooth flame
propagation from the spark source downwards.   Now if you don't know what
it sounds like you might miss it.  In fact it can be so slight that you
don't even hear it, but none the less it can and does happen and is VERY
damaging if it happens on a more or less constant basis  If you happen to
have other loud noises, then it may mask or drown out the pinging - as it's
not *particularly* loud (unless very severe and even then a loud exhaust
*could* mask it).